Friday, October 22, 2010

Whatberry?? Wheatberry!!

Today was a treat!  I went to Blue Dog Café in Louisville, Kentucky.  They are known for their wonderful bread.  And, although, my veggie Panini was by far the best I’ve ever had, the side show stole the meal. 

They served a wheat berry salad on the side.  Wheat berry had never passed my lips before this day ~ I just didn’t know what to do with it, so I never bought it.  The salad was very simple, but incredibly tasty and satisfying.  It had lima beans, green onions (the green and the white part), currants, and some sort of sherry.  Beautiful!  I ended up not only taking home a fresh whole-grain cereal loaf, but a pound of this salad for me and my family.
So, what is wheat berry (or wheatberry)??  According to Wiki Dic, it refers to the entire wheat kernel (except for the hull), comprising the bran, germ, and endosperm. Wheat berries have a tan to reddish brown color and are available as either a hard or soft processed grain. They are often added to salads or baked into bread to add a crunchy texture; as a whole grain, they also provide nutritional benefits since they are an excellent source of dietary fiber.  If you are on the fence about trying this because you think it may be too “granola”, think again…it just tastes good.

Next, after what couldn’t have made for a better afternoon, I stopped by the Bardstown Farmer’s Market for the first time (I’m new to the area).  What a great experience.  The produce was priced right…the people were proud of their business…and most everything was local.  This last descriptor is an important fact as I’m just learning about our “carbon footprint” on the earth.

New things are scary.  Scary things build character.  Think back to a wonderful experience that you’ve had.  I would bet that you were nervous about that experience before you jumped in.  My advice to you would be to step outside of your comfort zone ~ give something “strange” a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment