Thursday, October 21, 2010

Life as I Used to Know It

My journey began about six months ago.  I turned forty and was at one of life’s standstills.  Also, during a school physical, my nine-year old’s doctor asked if she had started her period.  Wha??!  She’s nine!!  The doctor told me that girls are reaching puberty earlier these days mainly due to the hormones in our milk.  I immediately went home and started doing research.  Amazing.  I soon started buying organic milk, never mind the hiked price.  I didn’t need a child in elementary school with boobs.  Organic eggs, veggies and fruit soon followed.

A few months later, my health club was hosting a 12-week “Biggest Loser” class.  It was time to recharge my body.  It was time to get my quirky personality back.  I mean, c’mon…I used to be pretty cool ~ I used to be fun.  Where did that person go?  When had I morphed into this stereotypical mom?  My shoe collection turned from a sea of colorful and trendy heeled shoes to dull flats and flip-flops.  I rotated three pair of jeans with my sweatshirt collection.  I even stopped wearing make-up.    

My weight has roller-coastered for my forty years, taking it’s dives through The Grapefruit Diet, South Beach, Atkins, Jenny Craig and multiple tries at Weight Watchers.  Although all were temporarily successful, I inevitably gained the weight back, plus some; however, you already knew that.  Finally, I started “eating clean”.  Wow!  The light bulb finally went off.  My Oprah “A-ha moment” finally hit.  I have found moderation…that far-away country I’ve been meaning to visit for years.  Hmmm…eating healthy, organic, non-processed foods works.  Throw in a little paraphrased Bethenny Frankel wisdom of considering food as a bank account and by eating anything you want, just not at the same time, and you can have a life again.

So, here I blog.  I will try things that are new to me and report back.

2 comments:

  1. Hey girl!!! I think you just summed up my life in a nutshell. We have also been trying to eat clean. It's actually very easy here in California. Farmer's markets and health foods are everywhere you turn. So happy to see you blogging! I will definitely be following along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for being my first follower! Yes, I'm very jealous of your beautiful Cali markets. Good luck on your journey!!

    ReplyDelete